MGFX, A free after effects script for file management with source code.
Do you ever simply want to open after effects and begin testing and researching without a proper folder structure first? Does this same file end up in the finished project? We've all been there, so, yeah. We put a lot of effort into structuring our file system so that it can be handed off to other animators, studios, or simply opened after a while without getting lost in the shuffle.
When I was working on the FUI animation for the movie Hobbs & Shaw, I had been there a lot and it significantly affected my productivity. Organizing the hundreds of Illustrator files I had to work with required a lot of effort. To make that procedure simpler, I gained a little understanding of programming and created a simple script.. Now, with the script I can organize everything with a click of a button. I don't have to worry about folder structure, comps, precomps or other files I use in my project. I can just focus on doing the work. Also, it's super easy to add multiple formats or folders.
- Folder Structure - Create a folder structure with names- *comps, ai, images, psd, plates and sound in the project panel.
- Import File - Imports a file into the after effects project.
- Move Comps - Move all the compositions into the "*comps" folder.
- Move Vector files - Move all the ai & eps into the "ai" folder.
- Move Images - Move all the png, jpg & exr's into the "images" folder.
- Move PSD files - Move all the psd files into the "psd" folder.
- Move Footages - Move all the mp4 & mov into the "plates" folder.
- Move Sound - Move all the mp3 & wav into the "sound" folder.
- Delete Empty Folder - Delete all the empty folder in the project panel.
- Copy the MGFX.jsx into your "Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels" directory.
- Inside After effects, Go to Edit > Preferences > Scripting & Expressions and enable Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network.
- Now, you can find the dockable script in Windows > MGFX 1.0.jsx
- Sometimes you have to click the button in the script few times to transfer all the files into the folder.
I developed the script with the aid of some wonderful folks online and a lot of what I learnt from the internet. I'm giving up the source code to anyone who wants to enhance the script and gain knowledge from it since I just want to spread love. With a few little script modifications, you may also alter the folder names and add new filetypes. You are free to copy, remix, transform, redistribute & build upon the material in any medium or format. Please don't sell it online.
Google Drive Link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/10_OWDyvqixQjx6HdOmM8xz31yCtwEFmI/view?usp=sharing
Please use Google Drive link if the Download button is not working for you.
MGFX by Saransh Sharma is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0